Using open source technologies and libraries, VLC has been ported to most computing platforms, including GNU/Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, BSD, iOS and Android. VLC can play most multimedia files, discs, streams, allows playback from devices, and is able to convert to or stream in various formats.
VLC 3.0 Changelog:
- Support network browsing for distant file system (SMB, FTP, SFTP, NFS...) and rewrite the parsing of the media files
- Support keystores: fetch and store passwords securely (sic!) for common protocols (HTTP, SMB, SFTP, FTP, RTSP ...)
- Autodetect external audio tracks (ac3, m4a, aac, dts...), similar to subtitles
- Support HDMI passthrough for Audio HD codecs, like E-AC3, TrueHD or DTS-HD
- Support for 12bits codec and extended colorspaces (HDR)
- Support output renderers, like ChromeCast